Friday, February 3, 2012

January


January was an amazing month! Not only was this my first consistent month of training since my accident in 2009, but I also participated in my first race in two years. Overall for the month I logged 26 hours of running for 128 miles with 28,000 ft of climbing.

Given my performance in both my training and the Orcas Island 25k I'm very excited at the possibilities that await in 2012. I know I have a long road ahead of me to regain the fitness and conditioning I once had, but I'll take it day by day-workout by workout.

As I write this I look back on my accident and how I was told I would need a spinal fusion... How I would never be able to train or race again. I think of the hours a lay awake in bed trying to decide if surgery was the right choice...If there really was no other alternative.

Turns out there was alternative and I am so thankful for all the friends and family who believed in me and my choice to forgo the fusion in hopes that with time, patience and perseverance I would be able to train and race again. A special thank you to wife, Michelle, who believed with out a doubt that I would someday toe the starting line again. I would not made have made it to this point without you. I love you!

3 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

I haven't heard the details of your big accident, but it's good to know that you are back and running again. :)

Chris said...

Thanks Scott I really appreciate it! I'll have to share the story when we actually meet up for a run :-)

Runner by Nature said...

I always have and always will believe in you...