Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First race of 2012!

My first race of 2012, my first real race since my crash at Xterra Worlds in 09, is coming up in three short days. The Orcas Island 25k has a reputation of being a tough race with over 3,500 ft of climbing, but I'm ready. Ready to race. Ready to test the shoulder. Ready to put my crash behind me and move forward with my athletic endeavors...Ready to move forward with my life.

I started running again in late October. Not with any consistency mind you. I took it day by day and let my shoulder dictate the distance and duration. But by January the consistency came and as I write this I have logged 15 runs for 115 miles with 24,000 ft of climbing this month.

My body feels strong, but I'm not ready to race...not just yet. My muscles are tight and heavy and lack the suppleness and elasticity they need to race. So as I taper down over the next 3 days I'll shift my focus to mobility and flexibility work. For me this means 1 1/2-2 hrs of foam rolling, mobility work and static stretching daily. I'll throw in some short runs with a couple strides to keep the legs open, but for me it's all about the soft tissue work during the taper.

Speaking of soft tissue work...I need to head out for my massage!

2 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

Good luck and have fun!

I see you have the Peterson Ridge Rumble on your calendar. I've been eyeing that for a couple years. Hmmm, I wonder if there are still spots open...

PNW TIDS said...

Thanks! You should check out the rumble. Great course with beautiful scenery and the build your own burrito bar after the race is amazing. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it :-)