Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week of January 16th-22nd.

Below is a photo essay of this weeks runs on Moscow Mountain. Scroll down to my review of last weeks training and compare the above image with the one from a week ago. Winter has finally hit!

Monday: Fresh snow decorating the trees at the base of Headwaters trail. 6 inches at the trail head and over 12 inches at Paradise.

Tuesday: Another dumping of snow covered my tracks from the previous day. This shot was taken at the top of Deep V. 14+ inches of fresh snow at Paradise.



Thursday: Yesterday we received another duping, but overnight freezing rain came in leaving a 1/4-1/2 inch of ice covering 12+ inches of snow. This made for a slow and painful run. My shins are bruised and cut from breaking through the ice with every step.

Friday: Above freezing temps left the snow wet and heavy. Made for a slow snowshoe up the road to the Headwaters trail junction. However, blue skies and sunshine made the effort worthwhile :-)

My Dion 121 racers and Brooks Pure Grits. There's not a better combination for winter training in North Idaho!

My week by the numbers:

Monday:
Paradise (12+ inches of fresh snow)
1:43 hrs, 8.7 miles and 1900 ft

Tuesday:
Paradise (14+ inches of fresh snow)
2:05 hrs, 8.7 miles and 1900 ft

Wednesday:
Off

Thursday:
Headwaters (1/4-1/2 inch of ice over 12+ inches)
1:44 hrs, 5.3 miles and 1,100 ft

Friday:
Headwaters trail jxn and Paradise Rd (snowshoes: heavy, wet snow)
1:26 hrs, 6.2 miles and 1,200 ft

Saturday and Sunday:
Off-Heavy fatigue in left calf.

Total:
6 hrs 58 min, 28.9 miles and 6,100 ft.

I was hoping to log 45-50 miles with another 8,000 k of climbing this week, but it just wasn't in the cards. I woke up early Saturday morning to a throbbing left calf. Unfortunately this meant I had to abandon my plans for a snowshoe run up to Paradise on Saturday (sorry Scott and Damian) and a 15 miler on Sunday.

The calf itsself isn't injured, just fatigued from the training in heavy snow this week. I've had this happen once before and after 2 days off I was as good as new. Just a matter of listening to the body and taking time off when it's warranted.

This coming week will be fairly light as I'm racing the Orcas Island 25k this coming Saturday with my wife and a large group of my athletes. This will be a great race to gauge my current level of fitness after almost 6 months off due to shoulder surgery.

2 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

You're tempting me to update my snowshoes to a smaller, more agile pair. I've had mine for years (before I started running) and they're just too big to run in comfortably. I tried running in them on Saturday but they were very clumsy.

PNW TIDS said...

I love the Dion 121's. It's a night and day difference over a standard shoe. Plus it opens up a whole new world. It's a workout for sure! Good training for the Scottish Highlands!